is Non-Chlorine Spa Shock?
For years, spa owners have
been keeping their water crystal clear by using Spa Shock on
a weekly basis. Just like "shocking" a pool, Spa Shock
quickly raises the sanitizer level of the spa water, killing off any
of the bacteria that may be present. Unwanted bacteria in spa water
can cause skin irritation, rashes, odors and cloudy water. The down
side of "shocking" a pool or spa can sometimes be a strong
chlorine-like chemical odor, eye irritation and bleaching of bathing
suits and covers.
Leave it at the folks at DuPont
to come up with a great chemical for Hot Tub Spa use -
Potassium Monopersulfate - or more commonly known as "Non-Chlorine
The best benefits of this type
of spa shock product is that it is easy and convenient to use, it
maximizes your existing sanitizer efficiency (normally Bromine) by
killing and eliminating contaminating waste and it will not produce
irritating chemical-smelling odors. It also restores sparkle and
clarity to dull water and it will not bleach or fade bathing suits
or spa covers. It assists with the bacteria killing, with no
unwanted side effects.
Now let’s get a little more
technical. Potassium Monopersulfate is a powerful, odorless
oxygen-based versatile oxidizer that will work in conjunction with
chlorine, bromine and most alternative sanitizing systems including
ozone. Hot Tub Spas are treated with sanitizers to protect
bathers from harmful pathogens, but sanitizing alone is not enough.
Bather waste and external
factors contribute to the buildup of organic contamination -
especially since most residential spas hold only 250-350 gallons of
water. Remember, 2 people in a 200 gallon spa are equivalent to 200
people in a 20,000 swimming pool ! Regular oxidation is required to
eliminate these contaminants and promote maximum sanitizer
efficiency and water clarity.
Potassium Monopersulfate is
ideal for oxidizing spa water because it reacts very quickly to
eliminate bather waste, increases existing sanitizer efficiency and
enhances water clarity and bather comfort. Best of all, it
eliminates the need to shock the spa with heavy chlorine-based
products which can cause chemical smelling odors and nasal
There are a few significant
drawbacks to using chlorine based spa shocks alone. When used
in heavy doses, chlorine can react with contaminants in spa water to
produce foul smelling and irritating combined chlorine compounds
called chloramines. Chloramines can be simple compounds like monochloramine,
or they can be quite complex like the organic chloramines
which actually resist oxidation by free chlorine and persist long
after chlorine shocking.
Chlorine shocking can also
raise chlorine residuals, which you may not want in a brominated
tub. This can be especially important if your hot tub is inside,
where air circulation is a problem. One of the reasons that people
use bromine in a spa is to reduce the chemical odor, both in the
water and in the indoor air around the unit. Potassium
Monopersulfate will not cause these unwanted odors when used as a
The one point we must
emphasize is that Potassium Monopersulfate cannot be used upon
the initial fill up of a hot tub. You must use regular Spa
Shock for that. It is not a disinfectant when used alone. A
normal level of sanitizer must already be present in the water for
Potassium Monopersulfate to react correctly.
When used properly, it will
eliminate chloramines, ammoniated compounds, oils, soaps,
perspiration, urine, and odors as well as enhance disinfection and
sanitation by regenerating the existing chlorine or bromine in the
water. We are sure you’ll like it !
See Our Non-Chlorine Spa Shock Now
Get Our Free App
© Copyright 1994-2018 by PoolAndSpa.com Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this
electronic publication and it's contents may be
reproduced, electronically or otherwise,
nor distributed in any
manner without the prior expressed written consent of PoolAndSpa.com Inc. Any Copyright infringement will
be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.